Through participation, councils can publicly and transparently:
- consolidate their leading role in tackling climate change at the local level
- embed climate action into municipal processes, structures and policies
- report locally and compare internationally using consistent and standardised data collection and reporting tools
- measure and verify climate action and monitor achievement against local targets
- work in partnership with their community, other councils and other levels of government to achieve meaningful reductions in corporate and community emissions and achieve relevant adaptation solutions and global action.